Public hearing ‘Practical implementation of UN Sustainable Development Goals’ under the initiative of Europe Business Assembly took place on 20 February in Palace of Nations – UN European Headquarter in Geneva, Switzerland.
Europe Business Assembly, as an organization in special consultative status with the Economic and Social Council since 2017 encourages its members to support and promote UN Sustainable Development Goals in business practices, and involves its regional business, science, education and healthcare elite in the dialogue on the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and other international agreements and programmes in the field of sustainable development.
EBA wishes to motivate and enable both its members and partners to work in a way which supports and promotes the SDGs.
SDGs provide a common framework and set of goals for all countries, all industries, all companies and all individuals to achieve a truly sustainable world. The SDGs will have limited impact if they remain an abstract global aspiration. Their ultimate success will be defined by the degree and speed at which they can be domesticated and socialised in the context where companies and people make decisions and where the consequences of those decisions are visible.
The discussion was devoted to sharing experience how prominent regional companies are guided by SDGs principles in the practice and operations, organize regional social and environmental aware actions and recognize own responsibilities in social, environmental and economic matters to ensure an optimal quality of life for both current and future generations.
Public hearing moderator and keynote speaker, EBA Director Ivan Savvov delivered a speech ‘EBA projects meet UN Sustainable Development Goals. Importance of balanced information, mechanisms and deterrents against disinformation’, which raised a great interest of all participants.
Further dialogue was focused on the following SDG:
1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere. How business participate in solving unemployment problems and raising the standard of living of fellow citizens
2. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages. Participation of private business sector in realizing regional healthcare programmes and support of hospitals, clinics and medical centers
3. Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning. The role of education is undeniable in enabling economic prosperity for individuals and countries.
4. Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation. New technologies development and implementation, business participation in infrastructure improvement initiatives and technological development of regions.
5. Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies. Ethical business practices are the integral part of effective modern company.
Regional business land healthcare leaders took an active part in the discussion and expressed their original concerning the event topics.
Some of the speakers included: Mohamed Hamdani, President, Axencia Group, France, Dr Matthew C.S Man, CEO, Megasoft Limited, China, Peter Ofner, Director General, Gottsegen Gy. Hungarian Institute of Cardiology, Hungary, Dr. Mohammad Salem Omaid, President and CEO, Azizi Bank, Afghanistan, Khalil Abdulkarim Al Fraih, Director General, Al Jazirah Engineers and Consultants - AJEC, Saudi Arabia, Milos Nenezic, General Director, Trayal Corporation, Republic of Serbia, Puan Sri Shariffa Sabrina Syed Akil, Chief Executive Officer, Tanah Aina Sdn Bhd, Malaysia and others.
We are grateful to all speakers and participants for support of the EBA initiative.
Europe Business Assembly, as the institution with ECOSOC Special Consultative Status will continue organizing such events in future.